Reality Based Community

Life in the Empire

Because that about sums it all up in a 'nut' shell. And because I need a place to satisfy my misanthropic rantings and save funny videos.

Views: 1067

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't we wish?

An old man like me shouldn't have to remodel a bathroom with his own two hands. The ones connected to my own arms. If I go missing, you'll know why.

Who in the fuck invented wax ring seals. They're bullshit!

I hate wax ring seals.  I kept trying to mount a throne unsuccessfully and so I finally called a plumber.  He said that the tile was a bit high so he showed me a little trick - use two ring seals.  We remodeled a half bath and, when we pulled up the tile we found black mold - had to tear up parts of the drywall and the subfloor - the previous homeowner hadn't gotten a good seal on the toilet and it had been leaking for many years.

You do seem a bit focused upon the evacuation and removal of waste these days....reminds me a bit of Waldopaper's earlier posts that share info on composting toilets.

What was that old Waldo proverb? Something about emptying the bowels and feeding the head.

They make a ring out of a type of sponge rubber now. They work well. Replaced one on the upstairs doody. No mess, no fuss.

I've got the same leaking-for-years scenario with our downstairs bath. Our nice oak floorboards started 'cupping' which gave me a clue that the downstairs doody was leaking. Got no one to blame but meself since I put it in. Fuck me. Using it as an excuse to turn our downstairs half bath into a 3/4 bath. Just hope I don't encounter too much rot. Got some columns holding up the second story embedded in the bath wall. I'm fucked if I have to replace those.

I think it's all part of being a middle-class homeowner. Not enough money to hire real pros. So we screw up our houses trying to do shit ourselves.

In the last couple of months I've replaced our dishwasher, put in a new toilet, had our roof fixed, put in a new entry and patio door, and had an ant infestation. About six grand worth of maintenance and repairs. Now, I'm looking at about eight G's for the bathroom remodel. Oh well. That's what home equity loans are for, right?

I keep hearing that evil plumber in my head saying, 'pay me now, or pay me later.'

What was that old Waldo proverb? Something about emptying the bowels and feeding the head.

"“In great deeds, something abides. On great fields, something stays. Forms change and pass; bodies disappear; but spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision-place of souls…"  JL Chamberlain 

Between fantasy and physics is magic.  Symbols ;) gestures " " and language which is what you are looking at right now.  Magic happens when make-believe things become real.  Not always good, not always bad, you can Google magic on your phone.  Magic is at Gettysburg, and it is still a vision-place of souls.  It is difficult enough to understand the physics there.

Armies could not move much faster than horses, and they could not fly.  No cell phones.  Patriotism is the magic still at Gettysburg , but today it is nationalism in a Halloween costume dressed as patriotism.  Google the difference and while there, check out Elizabeth Thorn and xenophobia, immigrants and XI Corps. Now hydrocarbon overlords want another war. Global warming is physics. 

Rosa Meade Thorn was born.  In the stench of the battle, in fact.  

from something I wrote awhile ago:

Mary Douglass states that the “power which presents a danger for careless humans is very evidently in the structure of ideas, a power from which the structure is expected to protect itself” (qtd. in Beers 40). Relentless pogroms were conducted by the Church against any perceived competitors. The Inquisition, witch trials, and the continuing censorship and excommunication of heretics are well documented.
People who seem to exist in the cracks between this world and the under and upper worlds are seen in many cultures as having great personal spiritual power.
These liminal people exist inside andoutside of society at the same time and are revered and/or feared in many cultures:
To move across boundaries is to move into margins; it is to move into danger and to
be at a source of power... The body orifices represent transitional zones where
various substances either enter (food, milk, water, wine, semen) or leave (urine,
feces, spittle, milk, blood, tears, semen). These substances transverse the boundaries
of the body and can be experienced as dangerous, polluting, and powerful-
depending on the specific culture. (Beers 40-41)
Women have more bodily orifices and have more direct commerce with bodily fluids; they are more liminal and thus apt to possess more spiritual power. The woman on her cycle is avoided as unclean, not out of disgust for her lowliness but out of fear of her power.

I hates the nasty eagle,
With all his brags and fuss,
The lyin', thievin' Yankees,
I hates 'em wuss and wuss.    --Still Dew

The fluid exchange is covered fairly well in The Spitting Image.  Writing in the 21st Century is discussed by (passive voice) Steven Pinker, and of course I get paid (not much) to teach this: expository writing. 

I am setting myself up for the do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do trap because the beginning  exploratory stuff for Gettysburg Opera has been generally trashed by the few readers I have because it is obtuse and largely unintelligible... which it is.  

The excuse could be that the Gettysburg Battle is obtuse and largely unintelligible to me.  Yeah, I know more than most people do about the Battle; names of Generals, troop movements, weapons and such.  But that aint it.  

Lincoln framed it as well as any contemporary could in the Gettysburg Address, which is "literally' carved in stone. Have we learned anything else about An Explosion in Washington?    Throw some shells over toward Coon Town

Oh- you don't like politically correct, do ya Jonny Dewdrop?  How about this: your King Jesus is Elmer Fudd in a dress.  That's because yer dum as a chicken-poop cupcake and you think The Flintstones is a documentary.

Goobers who can read beyond Dr. Seuss still argue that the war was not about slavery but states' rights, high taxes, big government or other teabag issues. Turkey-poop muffin with a mortarboard. They never shut up. 

The line for a hundred years has been they were all "brave American patriots."  Nope.  They were all victims of the same clown-show cartoon that continues to this day.  Southrons.  Meh.  

Doktor Stone's blog is down!  Vot gibs? 

D guy in D pic remind me of Onionhead.  harnessing happiness sos kin plow onion field. 

Follow the adventures of Johnny and Flip 6 HERE

shut my blog down due to low traffic, saying the same shit over and one for 8 years, and a need to duck out of the media simulacraspehere for a little bit for my emotional sanity. may reincarnate soon newer better stronger with mintier breath.

was offered second book contract in four months today. psyched! anthology on common core this one.

character above is "y u no man." meme from failblog.org. i found an online generator and added the words.

Met a Russian/Latvian-American during the Ligo festivities.  Said he moved to California in '92 and hadn't been back till now.  Still had a heavy accent.  Claimed that all of the talent moved out of Latvia after liberation and that that was why the country is the way it is. When we asked where in California, he said Fremont.  He was a little confused when I mentioned Fremont as a BART line - don't think he takes public transit.  Then he said that Fremont had changed, was 80% Indians brought in as computer programmers.  He followed up that gem of wisdom with some mumblings about "meskins' and "negroes".  J & I didn't stay around to point out to him that, not only was he an immigrant to America but his (grand)parents were immigrants to Latvia - just walked quickly away to avoid the stench.

I did marvel at how quickly he had become an American.  But then, Russians and Americans are similar in their sense of entitlement and ownership.

RSS

© 2024   Created by waldopaper.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service