Reality Based Community

Life in the Empire

Thought it was time to create a thread dedicated to the cinema.

Views: 440

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Loved it. Only got 16% on Rotten Tomatoes which is why I probably why I missed it when the DVD came out. I'm finding that I disagree with the reviewers at least half the time now. Not surprising seeing as I can't stomach any American TV and hardly US mainstream movies anymore. It's all crap.

I dug Frank MIller's Sin City and this was even better. Didn't even mind Demi Moore. Although, it could have used a few sexy babes to spice things up a bit more. But alas, the sets and art direction were incredible. A ton of work obviously went into it.

Thanks for the rec. I thuroughly enjoyed the movie. I owe you one.

Here's a movie for ya... it's about an hour long:  is Here is Germany directed by Frank Capra circa 1945.

The parallels here are batshit crazy.  Peep the comments too. A few people actually notice this shit

"The parallels here are batshit crazy." They sure are. 

Watched about 12 minutes - can't stay with overt propaganda for too long unless it is done extremely well

Reminded me of some of the anti-Soviet filmstrips I saw in Junior High.  As I posted to the video comments, Germany was responsible for some of the major developments in Music, Theatre, Dance, Visual Art, Science, Psychology, Philosophy - far more breadth of impact than the US - yet, if one really looks at the current and history of military adventurism of the US, the US exceeds any German impact on that level

Hitler finds out Americans are calling each other Nazis

Space Nazis from the dark side of the moon? Yep. 

http://youtu.be/_hPdN2QBTeY - this is a little break for me - didn't know how to imprint the scene from this movie on Klimt with Malkovich - thanks for taking a moment if ye do.

Stonefruit and Pan,

thanks for your thoughts on Hedges article answering the Cancer of the black bloc - refreshing to read friendly discussions here on rbc

Looks like an interesting movie. I'm gonna check it out.

At the top of posting window there are a series of buttons.  The third one over has a picture of a bit of blue film.  Click on that.  A separate window will open.  Paste the embed code you have copied from youtube (to access that you need to click "Share" and then "Embed")

I really don't like Malkovich - he is effective in certain roles but, for the most part he creeps me out.  But I like Klimt's work.  Bio-pics about famous artists are hit or miss......I probably will check this one out and hope that the casting of Malkovich was appropriate.

Frozen River 

Picked this independent movieup at the video store because I wanted to avoid the Grammys on tv.  I really enjoyed it - sometimes you get lucky

Frozen River is one of my all time favorites. Check out Winter's Bone for another in the same vain...plus it has the incredibly sumptuous, Jennifer Lawrence.

Mary and Max  wonderful claymation about two very flawed and lonely characters who become penpals and each other's only friends.

Trailer is here

RSS

© 2024   Created by waldopaper.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service