Reality Based Community

Life in the Empire

Views: 535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

America is just one big ass cabal of corruption with every major industry now employing a mafia-style business model. And yer right, the tenants of law can always be evicted when they interfere with profit. 

I watched all five seasons of 'The Wire' over the holidays. If one wanted to study the tenets of contemporary American culture, it's a good place to start. 

When I was full time at SEMO in Cape Girardeau, MO, Jo would cross the river for her doctoral studies in the Communication dept. at SIU Carbondale.  The Film Studies program was exciting but they only offered an MFA.  They had an interactive media program that was discontinued while she was there.  All students - undergrad through doctoral - had to take a class by the Chair that featured a workbook with serrated work sheets to be completed and handed in - it taught such wonderful ideas like to get ahead in business you should wear the same clothes, eat the same food and laugh at your boss' jokes.  The Chair once told Jo that she needed to be more vanilla because she was tutti-frutti.

Jo completed all of the doctoral coursework - the pay for grad assistants was higher than SEMO paid part-timers, she built and maintained the department website - but dropped out without starting her dissertation.  She wanted to research the posthuman condition (this was just as cell phones were becoming ubiquitous) and the Department was from the Cold War model where Communications depts existed to support the military interests by counting column inches.  There was clearly no one there who would be not antagonistic to such "tutti fruiti" futuristic, new-fangled silliness.  Really too bad.   If she had her PhD with that area of specialization now she would be a hot commodity in academic circles.

Is it a revolt when you propose a changethat protects the sanctity of the terminal degree?  Gotta give a motivation for folks to keep paying that hospice tuition!

Yow! "hospice tuition?"  ouch!   

most "intistitutions" are the way they are...because it's a business... whcih means "profit"... which means "money."  

now that "money" is buried in "derivitaves," the system is starting to unravel.  illusion of money. illusion of profit.  illusion of education as a business.  

from Atlantic:

The Cost of an Adjunct

The plight of non-tenured professors is widely known, but what about the impact they have on the students they’re hired to instruct?

They need to stop calling 'em universities. Call 'em Smart Marts, install greeters at the door and make all those upity professors wear happy face buttons.

As we regress back into the dark ages, it won't be long before you'll have to join a monastery in order to learn how to read and write.

Those who pray:10%.  Those who fight:10%  Those who work: 80%  Medieval demographics.  

I have become slingshot stupid.  I positively drool over one of these machines... which is the transportation equivalent of junk food... and that after trying to imagine Slipcraft (TM).  Slingshot!  Yummy!   Imagine a Slingshot hitting a patch of black ice at 100 mph... spinning like a top... then cartwheeling like Frisbee... then exploding like a Molotov cocktail.  Whee!  

One million-dollar idea goes by every minute.  In the 80s, we had a 30-second attention span.  Now it's down to 13 seconds and shrinking more every day.  Still people get pissed at everything I say.  What am doing wrong?  Try to boil everything down to 13 seconds, and there is still something in there that makes them mad.  Can't figure it out.  

Slingshot stupid.  

Hey quit blaming yourself for being Slingshot smart. It's not your fault if people can't keep up. Just try to not get abusive if they don't get it. These are ugly times and I think a lot of people are shutting their minds off as a way of coping. Forgive them father...

Read this story on yr. Wonkette.  Haven't been there much lately because I aint into the Dugar diddle.  

and WTF?  a STUDENT brought this into an AP class.  Sounds like he was bounced for much the same reason as I was.  

RSS

© 2024   Created by waldopaper.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service