Reality Based Community

Life in the Empire

We don't need another / a new discussion to prove it.

It is as it is.

Let this "fred" (discussion thread) live under the theme .......

long live this family

brothers, sisters, brethern, dogs, cats and birds, ants and flees, water and air and gas and Clare and Jim and him and the window Simm (??) and you and me and he and she and we and them and us and puss (???) and fish and the dish (it's on) and paper and pen.

Yip.

Views: 7017

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I guess there's one benefit to being a designer. I can point to my stuff and say, "See?".

You picked a rough road to travel, Pansters. Sounds like those questions could be applied to any type of class. They're probably looking for answers that are just as generic. Such is the new MBA styled world we live in. Everything modular. Everything interchangeable.
i feel yer pan, pain... i mean really... that's why i am hard-core unemployable. i just can't do that any more. the answers you wrote here were good ones... but in case you're wondering... don't try them in an interview- unless you just want to have some fun, i have. it was fun. no "job," of course.

a speaker-phone "interview" is even beyond the lamest thing i have ever experienced. and these people are supposed to be "educators." what they were doing was burning up time in a "meeting" so they could a) avoid any real work b) eat cookies c) go home at 5. you probably don't want to work in Texas and you sure as hell don't want to work with these deedle-heads.

i would like to work for a cause... even a company that is doing something worthwhile. the closest i have been able to come is trying to get small groups acquainted with critical thinking. there is so much work to be done... and so many people willing to do it... and the "process managers" keep getting in the way. i have even stopped lying about my 40-year-old "criminal record." why bother? when i'm eligible for "social security" there won't be any.

everything modular... everything interchangeable... we have finally figured out how to run a 19th century factory.
No - those weren't my actual answers - but I did respond to the why do you want to work here with "because it is the only position that is being advertised nationally". One of the committee tried to prod me in the "right direction" and I did some song and dance about being underutilized and wanting to be able to more fully contribute but the damage had already been done. The committee had made up their minds but, more importantly, I was reminded that there was a good reason I had made it a rule to never apply for a job in Texas and I didn't really want to have to live away from Ms. Medusa for 9 months of the year - I did not want that job.

A colleague from a Uni in Missouri where I was working told me that my interview (he had been on the committee) had struck him as the most honest interview he had ever witnessed. That was another position I didn't really want but I got anyway. And then some of them got annoyed that I turned out to be exactly the person they had interviewed. As my Chair told me at the time "the same reasons they found you attractive in the first place are the reasons why they are attacking you now".

I guess what got under my skin with the interview was just how dismissive it was - of me, of the process, of the art, of education. I'm playing politics in Idaho in order to justify my existence as a part-timer (who is far more qualified and contributes far more than any of the full-timers with the exception of Ms Medusa).

A few weeks ago I had a telephone interview for a position in West Virginia. It was a good interview - there was a connection. The Chair was a real human being. I wanted the job - even though I would be living across the country from Ms. Medusa. The Chair called and said that I hadn't made the short list being brought on campus but they wanted to keep me in consideration - code for "I really wanted you but got out voted by the committee". A week later the secretary called and said the committee had met all of the candidates but hadn't made a decision yet. I went out of town for a week. Didn't receive the final call.

Sometimes I get tired of finishing fourth....

When I am not having an emotional reaction to rejection I fully understand how absurd it is for me to expect to be paid by a state-run institution for the pleasure of instilling students with the bizarre idea that they are individuals rather than fodder for the consumption industry. And, that the reasons why I was drawn to dance and education in the first place are exactly what makes it a stupid career in a capitalist world.
More than a little discombobulated - a couple of days ago, returning from a visit with my Mother-in-law, Ms. Medusa and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary by taking a detour up the Oregon coast and Columbia Gorge - turning into a drive-way for wine-tasting off of Highway 35 near Hood River we were hit by a semi who apparently thought we were all the way off the road so he just continued on without braking or making any evasive moves.

Both of us are OK. The mountain bikes and bike rack are complete losses. The car is probably going to be declared a complete loss by the insurance company. Now our summer plans are put on hold....have to settle the insurance, get new bikes and - most likely - a replacement vehicle. I think I still am a little in shock, not fully accepting what just happened. But....it could have easily been a lot worse so I guess we are lucky.
thank goodness you are okay, but watch out for balance problems as you body still gets echoes of the abuse!

i have seen so many bad semi drivers in the last few years. my son and i were aggressively forced into the middle area while passing a truck on I-40, it was really scary as he was using his truck as a weapon. what kind of car were you driving? are you stuck there in hood river?
Spent the night and then rented a UHaul (no one-way car rentals available from Hood River) and drove 12 hours to Pocatello. Still pretty fried. Finding receipts for insurance.

Just looked up the Kelly Blue Book value on our car - good news, about $1,000 higher than what we paid last year - so, even though we won't get replacement value on the bikes we will be OK with the car.
Yeewoza!, sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you guys are OK. I forbid anyone to come up missing here--it's just not acceptable. Let us know how your insurance company decides to screw you.

Gonna be heading to Yellowstone next weekend. Being the only person in the family without a bike, I splurged and bought my first new bike...an Electra Townie. It's great for people with fat butts and backs that won't bend anymore. Totally comfy.

Haven't been to Yellowstone since I was 11. Hope she doesn't blow while we're there.
you know.....West Yellowstone is just a two hour drive to Pocatello,,,,,,,,
Was hoping to get an invitation. Didn't want to intrude. Not exactly sure what our schedule is for the return trip, but if you want to shoot me your number via private message, I could give you a call. Should be passing through Pokeytown around the 8th of July.
great to hear! really we should all go camping!
Panstock 2011!
yes!

RSS

© 2024   Created by waldopaper.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service