Reality Based Community

Life in the Empire

Been writing cover letters for job applications (two submitted yesterday). More of a movement artist than a wordsmith but, to get things started, here is something I wrote for Migrant, my section in Train.

Where is home?

Moved twelve times in the last 16 years. The transient in transit. Pierce Transit runs through it. Before I came here I was in Rush Limbaugh’s home town before I was surrounded by corn fed Norwegian bred Lutherans singing praise in perfect four part harmony to that Home on the Plain before I’m taken Home – Praise Jesus. I grew up in Iowa, Little Town on the Prairie an island afloat in the ocean of corn. Lived in SoCal, in the Desert where golf and plastic surgery reigns, might have the grit to stay in rainy Tacoma, but, I always say I’m from San Francisco - though I rarely visit anymore.

Home, where is home?

Home is where you are. Correction, home is where you and the two cats are.

What is home? That safe place. That place with love. I love that old car, it always brought me home. The ’75 Westphalia could be home. Or rather, the place that used to be home. Too old, too unreliable to be trusted anymore. Baling wire and duct tape. Just like the U-Haul I drive to the next place, hoping for home.

Searching for home. Migrants with heavy furniture. U-haul. Our orange travois with wheels keeps getting bigger. Full of stuff. Heavy Stuff. Stuff that anchors us. To a home of nostalgia. Anchors to a home that never really existed. That place. This is the place! Well bully for you Brigham Young. Bring ‘em young. Not young anymore, with more stuff each move to stuff in the moving van and every move leaves behind anchors that are mourned in passing.

A house burns down and the anchors are cremated and the past has passed on.

The bubble is burst. The house is on the market. The anchor is weighed. The trees we planted are left behind. Do the new owners love that Japanese Maple we planted as our 10th anniversary gift to our dream of home? Have they maintained the landscaping? Have any of the plants, the dreams, the love we planted been cared for in our absence? Or have they been torn up by the roots to make room for the next owners’ dream of home?

Where are the anchors? Is there a home port? Adrift. Without a home. Drift wood is picked up for beach fires to warm the beach rats without a home. Their shacks have been bulldozed like West Bank ancestral olive groves to make room for more condos and home-loving dreamers blowing a bubble. Pop!

Views: 2571

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Waldo!!!  I know you don't like applying for things but this screams for you.

Gettysburg National Military Park  ARTIST IN RESIDENCE

by: NATIONAL PARKS ARTS FOUNDATION
(Non-Profit 501c3)

For the First time ever ! Live and work at Gettysburg NMP for at least a month this summer. Be the first resident artist there in history ! This is the best time to apply.
We are extending the application deadline to April 15 : http://www.nationalparksartsfoundation.org/#!apply-/c1as3
Have a great Weekend ! - NPAF     http://nationalparksartsfoundation.org/
                   Info@nationalparksartsfoundation.org   

Gettysburg National Military Park Artist in Residence (AiR)

Multiple price options

Ends on 7/1/2015

- Hide Guidelines

* All applicants MUST indicate which AiR  they are Applying
* Applications will NOT be considered if payment does not correspond with number of images, length of video or audio submission.

Important Dates
:
Applications Due (July Term): April 17th, 2015
Applications Due (August Term): May 1st, 2015
Applications Due: (September Term): June 1st, 2015
Announcement Dates for both Artists and Alternates:
May 1st (for July Term); April 1st (for August Term); July 1st (for September Term)
July Artist-in-Residence Term: July 1st - July 31st, 2015
August Artist-in-Residence Term: August 1st - August 31st, 2015
September Artist-in-Residence Term: September 1st - September 30st, 2015
Public Programming (Lecture/workshop/presentation): TBA, by end of residency

All artists are encouraged to apply, as the Gettysburg National Military Park Artist-in-Residence program is designed for all artists to pursue their particular art form while surrounded by the inspiring landscape and history of Gettysburg National Military Park. The prospective candidate must present a cohesive body of work, a complete application including their resume, biography and proposal of their residency project and how it reflects and may be inspired park resources. All candidates must have merit and/or experience in at least one of the following areas: two dimensional artwork, sculpture, music, linguistics, writing, screendance, performance art, film, and/or ethnographic fine art, or any other appropriate artist medium.

Three times this summer, three artists (or artist couple) will be selected to work in Gettysburg National Military Park for a one month term in July, August and September of 2015. The Artist-in-Residence will be granted lodging, and a venue for at least one workshop, lecture or concert and the possibility of an arts donation.

Artists will be expected to have a continuous public and visitor presence throughout their residency. Further, the artist will present, at minimum, one 1-hour public program, workshop, concert or lecture during their residency at Gettysburg National Military Park. This can be presented either the park or another venue as deemed by NPAF and NPS. Artists must provide their own supplies and equipment for these presentations. We also encourage artists to give more public presentations at the park and in their own community about their residency experience in Gettysburg National Military Park, to further broaden the reach of the program’s purpose and the goals of the NPS and NPS Centennial Objectives.

Artists need to provide all of their own insurance for liability, health, covering, but not limited to art supplies, equipment, personal items, reliable transportation and any insurances governing commercial permitting for required park permits. NPAF nor NPS will provide any insurance for any part of the Artist-in-Residence program. Artists should be self-sufficient, independent and enjoy working in a public, culturally sacred environment and able to commit to the full Artist-in-Residence (AiR) term. The AiR artist must remain accommodating to inquiring park visitors because of the thoroughfare of their location and/or workspace. The artist is expected to comply with all park regulations and policies governing park employees, volunteers and visitors.

The participating artists will donate an original piece of work inspired by their residency in Gettysburg National Military Park to the NPS at the park, through the NPAF. Donated work must be received no later than a year after the artist’s residency. Artists are required to provide copyright of donated artwork to NPAF.

Admission to the residency program will take place three times from April-June o the first of each month, and is open to people from all countries. All prospective candidates from outside of the United States must ensure their own proper documentation as it pertains to travel within and to the United States.

Deadline for all application submission will be according to above timeline and the admissions decision and announcement will be two (2) months before each AiR term. Each applicant will be required to submit at least 3 pieces of artwork, audio or video files to be considered by renowned judges, and/or NPAF's Art Curator. Fee application fees will apply.

The artist-in-residence program may be canceled or interrupted due to a government shutdown, for unforeseen circumstances or during any hazardous weather conditions including, but not limited to, poor environmental levels, fire danger, etc. The balance of the residency term may be negotiated to be made up at a later date, but NPAF cannot guarantee or be held responsible for AiR interruptions or cancellations because of Government decisions, inaction or natural causes.

All terms herein may change and are subject on the approval of the NPS, NPAF and other governing entities. All AiR participants may be required to accept further conditions contracts and agreements including but not limited to; back-ground checks, codes of conduct, special use permits, rules and regulations, housing agreements, volunteer-in-the-park (VIP) artist contract and any other apparent and unforeseen agreements required of any governing entity, namely the NPS, NPAF and/or NPS concessionaires.

Costs $50.  Sure would to be cool to finish the opera working in the Gate House!  

We unsuccessfully applied to the residency at Death Valley - the fees were annoying but we rationalized it as our donation to the Parks Service.

Think of Slipcraft as exactly like slipping a punch.  Slip into your time machine and go back to Nazi Germany.  

YOU:  So let me get this straight:  you put people on cattle cars.  I'm not even going to get into whether it's right or wrong to put cattle on cattle cars.  That's a question for another time.  You put people on cattle cars and ship them to places where you can kill as many of them as quickly and efficiently as possible, right?  Then other prisoners stuff them into ovens, correct?  

NAZI: That is the final solution to the Jew Question.  

YOU:  What?  Then do you eat them?  

NAZI:  Of course not.  We are not barbarians.  

Did you think the Cold War was over?  Me too.  Thought most people could see through the 100-year anti-communist propaganda storm by now?   Me too.  We are not barbarians.  Um.  Governor talks like a sausage.  Back home, we still have to explain physics.  

Slip, as a noun:  "We gave them the slip."  As a verb:  "Slip this in your pocket."  Pink slip?  We all know what that means.  Put your head where the punch is not going to go.  Apply rudder on the high side of the bank.  

Just saw the Fall 2015 schedule - I'm not on it, Jo has been given bullshit classes and none of the required theory classes are listed.  Meanwhile the Rotary Club's darling balletrino has been given another new course that there is no reason for.  Evil is so banal and so common.

"Wie wärs, wenn wir diese Nacht aufblieben, um zu sehen, wer uns solche hilfreiche Hand leistet?"

"What think you if we were to stay up to-night to see who it is that lends us this helping hand?"

Die Wichtelmänner 

My first acting role was playing the title role in "Martin the Shoemaker" in 2nd grade at St. Cecilia's School.  It is clearly a Christian adaptation of the fable you shared (which, with the Christmas setting has already been Christianized).  Martin, a poor shoemaker, tries to make a pair of shoes as a gift to the baby Jesus on Christmas.  He is foiled by lack of resources and exhausted goes to bed feeling a complete failure.  On Christmas morning he is delighted to find that his gift to the baby Jesus have not only been miraculously completed but they are, by far, the finest example of his craft that have ever been made.  Same basic story without the elves.

My long-time friend Tom, who later tried to break into radio, was the voice of God.....a play that actually had a voice of God* portraying the voice of God.

*Voice of God, VOG

Colloquial term used to refer to respectively, the Stage Manager, the Director or Stage Manager's paging system, or a building wide paging system. Named in reference to a disembodied voice issuing commands.

I aint on the Fall schedule either.  Just decided to let it slide.  Gotta figure out another paying gig... or get by on me old man dole.  

The elves were the visitors who came to Gburg in July 1863.  

we are still wearing those shoes.   

Fortunately I wasn't planning on coming back in Fall but, still, the complete disrespect of erasing me after 6 years without even talking to me demonstrates how disgusting these fat fascist fucks are - no respect for others, no respect for education, no respect for the art.

Nah.  They just wight people... elves who make system take on a life of its own like some bizarre animated puppet.  Costumes... special effects... scripts and choreography... All there at Gburg in 1863.  

Why didn't the shoemaker and his wife stay up the second night?  Why did they wait until they were wealthy and prosperous to even bother to see who was assembling the shoes?  Is this about "capitalism?"  

After they got their little suits, the shoemaker and his wife never saw the elves again.  

The wight people....from the Isle of Wight?

At the end of the Roman Empire, the island of Vectis became a Jutish kingdom ruled by King Stuf and his successors until AD 661 when it was invaded by Wulfhere of Mercia and forcibly converted to Christianity. When he left for Mercia the islanders reverted to paganism.

In AD 685 it was invaded by Caedwalla of Wessex and can be considered to have become part of Wessex. The resistance to the invasion was led by the local King Arwald and after he was defeated and slain, at Caedwalla's insistence, Wight became the last part of the English lands to convert to Christianity in AD 686.

RSS

© 2024   Created by waldopaper.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service