Reality Based Community

Life in the Empire

They keep coming out of the woodwork like cockroaches. They eat away at the foundation of civilization. They lie, cheat and steal. They think the world owes them something they don't deserve. They get away with murder.

Who are they?

Views: 2440

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We had a very uptight sort of "60's" over here and the stuff has a sort of 'class barrier' it doesn't carry over your way.  It would have just been so much less complicated for them to deal with an alcoholic.  Everyone understands an alcoholic.

The sharks are a major issue.  My only hope really is that no self respecting shark would want to be seen messing around with dung beetles.

Krakkers in krakkerland: sorry to say... this fucktard is for real. 

...and almost a neighbor too.  Beam me aboard Scotty.   No intelligent life here.

Yep. The christian constructivist fascist whackos have been coming out of the woodwork lately. I'm sure you've been following Santorum's accusations (not even worth the link) as well. These guys are beyond deluded...they're pure bred sociopaths and incredibly destructive. But, what worries me is the amount of support they garner. And it seems to be increasing....which means we really are running out of places to escape to. Scary shit.

How are you using the term "constructivist" - I am most familiar with it used to define an avant garde approach to theatre in early 20th century Russia.  According to wikipedia:

Constructivism may refer to:

Don't mean to come off as the word police....just wondering.

Constructivism means that humans create meaning within social contexts because it is believed either that reality is essentially without meaning or its true meaning is beyond us.

Christian constructionist works too. 

More salient info from wiki...

Social constructionism and postmodernism

Social constructionism can be seen as a source of the postmodern movement, and has been influential in the field of cultural studies. Some have gone so far as to attribute the rise of cultural studies (the cultural turn) to social constructionism. Within the social constructionist strand of postmodernism, the concept of socially constructed reality stresses the on-going mass-building of worldviews by individuals in dialectical interaction with society at a time. The numerous realities so formed comprise, according to this view, the imagined worlds of human social existence and activity, gradually crystallised by habit into institutions propped up bylanguage conventions, given ongoing legitimacy by mythologyreligion and philosophy, maintained by therapies and socialization, and subjectively internalised by upbringing and education to become part of the identityof social citizens.

I keep learning things on this board. Been reading a lot of postmodernist articles lately and they spend, oh so much time defining just how they are using their various B.C.W.s (big college words) - it kind of has me overly concerned with specificity of words.   Looks like social constructionism is a post-structuralist view...

Though - just because I'm in academia and that tends to make one a little anal about things - the definition you posted is "construct(ionism)" rather than "construct(ivism)".  I'm not a linguist so I don't have a clue what the difference between "ionism" and "ivism" is.....maybe Waldo does.  Sometimes I really wish I had gotten trained in Latin and Greek (and German) so I would have a better sense of the roots of words.

Here's an example of construct-a-vision at work...from the Drudge Report a few minutes ago...also known as a projection (just to complicate things further). Whether this is a ploy, or the dude actually believes his own shit, it disgusts me to no end. Be afraid. These people are dangerous.

SANTORUM'S SATAN WARNING
Tue Feb 21 2012 09:27:20 ET

"Satan has his sights on the United States of America!" Republican presidential hopeful Rick Santorum has declared. 

"Satan is attacking the great institutions of America, using those great vices of pride, vanity, and sensuality as the root to attack all of the strong plants that has so deeply rooted in the American tradition."

MORE 

The former senator from Pennsylvania warned in 2008 how politics and government are falling to Satan. 

"This is a spiritual war. And the Father of Lies has his sights on what you would think the Father of Lies would have his sights on: a good, decent, powerful, influential country - the United States of America. If you were Satan, who would you attack in this day and age?" 

"He attacks all of us and he attacks all of our institutions." 

Santorum made the provocative comments to students at Ave Maria University in Florida. 

MORE 

The White House contender described how Satan is even taking hold of some religions. 

"We look at the shape of mainline Protestantism in this country and it is in shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it." 

Developing... 

The truly sad thing is that the candidates favored by Dominionism, Dominion Theology, Christian Reconstructionism, Theocratic Dominionism, Kingdom Now theology, Theonomy  - or whatever you want to call it make voting for Obama seem like a necessary evil....

from the linked article

Christian Reconstructionism is a political reform movement that arose out of Calvinism theology in the early 1970's. Many in the movement are conservative Presbyterians. Followers believe "that every area dominated by sin must be 'reconstructed' in terms of the Bible." 3

The term Reconstructionism has been used to refer to various combinations of the preceding three terms. This type of confusion is common in the field of religion. Many theological terms such as Christian, Fundamentalist, Occult, New Age, Reconstructionism, Unitarian etc. have been assigned so many different interpretations by different groups in different eras that they are almost meaningless.

Wow .... I didn't think you guys would have a 'presidential hopeful' that made our own home grown variety 'kill-the-boer' Juju seem like a plausible option.  As you say Bo - be afraid, be very afraid.  Actually I am having a particularly hard time at the moment dealing with sheer unadulterated terror.  It didn't help that I watched a BBC Ancient Rome documentary episode called "Nero".  My system does not handle disturbing audio visual input at all well for a start.  Then I got to thinking "Well, as bad things are now I need to be grateful because they could conceivably be a lot worse".  That began as a little yellow brick road type optimistic utterance & we all went downhill from there.  Very downhill ... I am trying to choose between removing any remaining dangerous medication from the house or making sure I have plenty more so I don't botch the job again.

Word derivations are incredibly interesting.  Not just the direct translation kind of derivation but the 'concept' translation that has crept in over time which we've lost sight of altogether.  I am reading David Abram "The Spell of the Sensuous" and am completely bowled over at the fact that the words "spell" as in magic and "spell" as in get the written letters in the correct sequence have the same derivation ... in depth .... being able to spell conferred on those who could do it a magical power.  Rather disappointing what we ended up doing with that magical power.  As Einstein put it technology in our times is like a very sharp razor blade in the hands of a three year old.

I did Latin at school Pan so I can help you out with a tiny piece of "post-modernism".  "Post" = "after".  So if you can just work out what "modernism" means then Bob's your uncle because post-modernism came after it. 

As for difference between constructivism & constructionism ....  Here's a guy who has given the matter some thought

"The confusion that I and others have about these terms stems from (a) similar looking words and (b) meaning at different levels of the word construct. Piaget was talking about how mental constructions get formed, philosophical constructivists talk about how these constructions are unique (noun construction), and Papert is simply saying that constructing is a good way to get mental constructions built. Levels here are shifting from the physical (constructionism) to the mental (constructivism), from theory to philosophy to method, from science to approach to practice."

I think Mike Oldfield really summed it all up rather well in the "Sailors Hornpipe" - But to be more obtusely, "buggered if I know." Yes, "buggered if I ...

We Americans don't even know what the meaning of is is. So not surprising we  can't define 'the big words.'

But I certainly know crazy when I see it. It don't matter what you call it.

Seriously...thanks for the clarification of constructivism vs. constructionism.

Have to be careful of those innocuous little 'is' type words.  Look what happened to old whatisname for saying "I am".  Would "I is" have saved him ....?

I've read a little Derrida - and a whole lot of articles that invoke him - oftentimes coming to wildly different conclusions.  One of the better ones pointed out that, like Nietzsche, Derrida is difficult because he is contradictory in what he is saying - that there isn't one read on Derrida because Derrida has several different things he is saying at different times.

One of the good things about not having a tenure-track position is that I don't have to publish.  Having to name-drop Foucault, Derrida, or whoever else is the favorite of the Journals' editors just feels dirty.

RSS

© 2024   Created by waldopaper.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service