Reality Based Community

Life in the Empire

Yesterday I noticed in one of his comments on COTO that Waldo is reading, Family of Secrets. I got that book from the library the other day and just started reading it myself.

Come across any good books lately?

I want to read Eva Golinger's recent book, The Empire's Web: Encyclopedia of Interventionism and Subversion, but it was published in Venezuela in Spanish and I don't know if it is out in English yet.

Views: 311

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I bet Bo was fit to be tied (yes, I noticed the pun in your new avatar). So does BO like getting tied?
I just decided to mellow-out my avatar so's to be un-provocative and un-contentious in the interest of universal peace.

Seattle's famous cloudy skies destroyed my opportunity to view the meteor shower.

Speaking of terrorism...I'm kind of digging what the freepers are doing with their tea parties and confrontations with the PTB. Have you noticed that intelligent progressive discourse seems to have all but disappeared from the blog-o-sphere? (Outside of this small place, of course.) It seems like the left has given up, moved out and left a big-ass void for the freepers to fill. Could it be that the lefties are the first to realize that we're all fuc.....er, hosed, and there's not a damn thing we can do to turn it around?

That's what I'm feeling these daze. Grab the popcorn and watch it all collapse. That is...if I can keep the anxiety associated with the doom I feel under control.

Kind of explains my recent need to disassociate from humanity. I'm so discouraged with the human race, I want to cancel my membership.
Not a book, just an online blog entry:

The AETA 4: If this is terrorism, then what isn’t?

From the Blog of the National Coalition Against Censorship

I suppose there must be people who would forfeit the right to oppose corporate rule (fascism) for the right to openly denigrate and offend other people.

In a bureaucratic hierarchical pecking order, everyone is "free" to pick on those lower in the hierarchy, in return for submitting to the higher-ups who rule them. But to mistake the right to oppress others for freedom from oppression, is a serious mistake. Placing shackles around the neck of another, will not free you from the shackles around your own neck.

Fight the power.
I've been reading RBCII !

Not everything, as I am a slow and lazy reader. Yes, pictures and sounds continue to dominate my mode of intake. This is surely to change, soon. I'll have to go to a bookstore in the next few days, to grab me up a very good book, as I know I'll be needing it soon. A new set of eyeglasses would be great to go along with a new book but that may have to wait.
Today, I scheduled my nose operation. This gives me something to look forward to putting behind me. I can hardly wait to be able to breathe freely without having to pant as a dog does.

Funny, I was brushing through a few odd objects upstairs a few days ago as I accidentally bumped up against a small bookshelf I have next to my side of the bed and a number of CDs and books tumbled to the floor. It's as if the books and the CDs, which are actually music DVDs jumped out and tried to grab me. I took the whole bunch and carried it downstairs and am now watching one of the DVDs again. It's RUSH, live in Rio. The books are all English Classics. Don't think I'll read them again as the experience may take me back to the time when I read them all, while undergoing chemotherapy. Media has that effect on me. It makes its mark and whatever came along with it becomes part of the experience.

I'm happy to see everyone getting along so well ;-) . Please do carry on.
Sorry, the RUSH in Rio DVD was a blast, but now I'm literally elevated with "Remember The Night", David Gilmour, Live at the Royal Albert Hall. It doesn't get much better than this. Well, yes, it does, but only when you're truly up against a Wall.

curt
Had my eyes lasered yesterday to get rid of the foggy membrane that started clouding my vision after the cataract ops. Hoping it'll mean I can start reading without having to take frequent naps again. My book parcels arrived this week ... "Dog's Mind", "The other end of the leash", "Tales of two Species", "Better Food for Dogs", "Dogs of Africa", "Canine Body Language", "The Culture Clash (Human & Canine)" and my favourite so far "Melancholia's Dog - reflections on our animal kinship" .... where I am reading how smart we think we are because we have the power of the word and can call an animal an animal and establish our superiority and 'non-animalness' by doing so. I am fascinated by how much my doggy studies are teaching me about myself and my own species.
"how smart we think we are"

copy that! (roger, or, right you are)

we're as animal as any other animal, even more so at times.

Laser. Oh my. Brave one, you. Easy goes it though, now. Easy goes it, stearsman. Let the cliffs stay abay.

I'm opting for the coblation method. A neat new way to remove unwanted "tissue".

Yes! This has to do with reading. You read this, right?
Damn, this DVD from Gilmour is good. I feel like hijacking this Fred and steering it into deep musical seas. Won't do that though. Nope. Actual reading is far too important.

Okay, maybe a snippit.

The devil made me do it.
My eyes ain't all that great either, but those sure looked like books to me, at 6:02.

But speaking of hijackin', I found this story amusing:

Hunt for missing ship intensifies as mystery deepens

At first I thought it might be another Philadelphia Experiment, but no such luck.

RSS

© 2024   Created by waldopaper.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service