Reality Based Community

Life in the Empire

Dan Folgelberg dies of prostrate cancer. 56 years old.

http://www.danfogelberg.com/news.html

I loved this guy--sappy music and all.

Views: 2760

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congrats. You're free!

yea (new English), rather impressive Hannah.

Wow Hannah .... hope you've got a birth certificate ... just in case you need to prove you do exist ... I can't see anyone just taking your word for it -:)

Mouse it sounds like we did similar sorts of flights to school except no pygmies on mine - it was called the lollipop flight - full of kids going south to boarding school - lots of teddy bears travelled with the passengers.

Lord of the Rings was a real treat to read - a friend & I puzzled out the rune alphabet from the pictures in the Hobbit book & used to pass notes in class that no one else could understand.  It was better than Latin because not even the Latin teacher could crack those note codes.

without wishing to brag (ahem), these were not lollipop flights, although I'm sure my bear would have preferred such a thing. Most of the passengers were adults and when I travelled with my brother we headed for the seats near the back where we could enjoy ourselves and drink lots of tomato juice.
The VC10 aircraft was deemed sophisticated in the extreme by all the grown ups, and we were often told how lucky we were.

I don't remember there being more than a handful of unaccompanied children. Right at the end we travelled back with lots of families on board, during the withdrawal. I remember people at the boat club in the harbour becoming more serious in mood as such tales were told as of human tissue sailing through the window into the breakfast frying pan during a 'terrorist incident'. There were reporters waiting when we landed, bothering people.

My brother had become a chorister by then in a cathedral school. One of his silliest ideas was to offer me for sale to a guard in Tripoli airport, or was it Khartoum?

The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders were my heroes , in Aden.

Bowie released a new album January 8 on his birthday, two days later he dies of cancer. 

Shocking news to wake up to. He was certainly an icon from my own g...g...generation. 

Wham, bam, thank you, man.

Another rock and roll passing...sort of.

Jerry Hall (Mick Jagger's ex) and Rupert Murdoch are engaged.

I think Ms Hall should get the gold-digger of the century award.

Outrage.  Fame fame fame fame...

Intellect has been replaced with distractions in the final phase of empire: Bread and circuses in the age of decadence.

Here's a really good video explaining where we are now.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/four-horsemen-documentary/

I think maybe the Occupy Movement was the left's last gasp. At this point, I don't know of any former progressives who haven't given up. 

Turret 9 November Whiskey

Q: What do you consider the most overrated virtue?  

A: Teeth.  

-- KV  January 17, 1991  

RSS

© 2024   Created by waldopaper.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service