Reality Based Community

Life in the Empire

We don't need another / a new discussion to prove it.

It is as it is.

Let this "fred" (discussion thread) live under the theme .......

long live this family

brothers, sisters, brethern, dogs, cats and birds, ants and flees, water and air and gas and Clare and Jim and him and the window Simm (??) and you and me and he and she and we and them and us and puss (???) and fish and the dish (it's on) and paper and pen.

Yip.

Views: 7016

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have been imagining that Waldo is working on his book, having only one class this term.

There was brief word from Little Old Me on Bo's birthday.

Motorcyclists and mountaineers.. hmm. Curt. Only went out on bike twice last year, have become too suspicious of drivers to enjoy it, and the potholes were bad. Three cyclists killed on their bikes in this little town last year. Hit and run. Two were heart consultants if I remember rightly, retired, one a surgeon. How odd.

Was most put off by the car slowing beside me, the passenger window wound down and the arm outstretched, reaching to push me off. Heard it is not uncommon round here.
Couple of weeks ago a driver knocked a cyclist off his bike at a roundabout in the early hours, got out of his car and gave the fellow a walloping before resuming his journey.
Attachments:

Greetings Mouse

And happy birthday Bo

Thanky. 

I see a red dot next to Waldo's avatar. I figure that means he's still with us. Hoping he'll send us a series of links soon.

HBD old man.

The Uni has gotten totally bizarre.  Even if we were allowed to stay on it would be way too miserable to see all our hard work destroyed by idiots.  My classes didn't fill this semester so I am on unemployment for the first time in my life.

Still actively seeking work though the instructor job in Manhattan, Kansas is there and I got a favorable read of the community and the people I will be working with.  Jo interviewed for an executive position with Dance at Texas Tech.  Everything but the town (which is completely flat) was appealing.  The salary is nearly double what she is currently earning.  Waiting on the call for that one.  Unfortunately she blew out her knee while teaching a demonstration class there so it is highly likely surgery is coming - have to wait till the swelling diminishes before a doctor can diagnose.

We will be living apart if Jo gets a job.  Have about 5-7 years before retirement and it would be good to push the income prior.  We have been inseparable since we first got together over 25 years ago - we do everything, even work, together.  We are preparing ourselves for the likely separation - but with the caveat that we can always change the situation if we can't deal with it.

I have an interview trip to Tucson, AZ, with a Skype interview with Kent, OH this week.  Next week I go to Flagstaff, AZ to interview.  This is the most interest in me I have had.  It feels good to be getting nibbles - an affirmation that my work is high quality.  And, it feels good to already have a job lined up at KSU, even though it is low status/pay.

All best wishes to you & 'Medusa' for your next moves Pan.  Unemployment is a 'redefining' sort of state .... for me it's been liberating & disorientating. I had decided that 'pushing the income' made more sense than anything else, but things didn't work out sensibly.  The 'power of one' in the aloneness has eluded me but the time has been full of little bubble moments that I can't describe well in words - Mouse captures them so well in her artwork. 

My last day of 'shadow working' in urbania tomorrow.  Friday I lug my battered suitcase & 'jelly brain' to the airport & begin the journey home to my house & hounds.  It's been a worthwhile trip, if tiring.  Up to the Fates the Furies what comes of it.

I'm rooting for you!

we're all rooting for each other.  that's a good thing.  pan drop me a message if you are moving to the little apple.  by the way, it's a lot closer to dallas area from their i think and a much nicer drive.  plus the train goes from okc, and they are thinking of adding wichita to that route.

Happy birthday to you Hannah (FB cheat sheet -:))

Lovely post that made me smile. 

Flying to Tucson for an interview today.  Not thrilled about the community college gig because the teaching demonstration they have requested is completely anti-pedagogical: choreograph and teach a modern, ballet and jazz routine in 10 minutes each.  I don't teach dance routines, I teach people to dance.  I have a Skype interview with Kent that seems interesting almost immediately after I'm done with the Tuscon interview.

The swelling of Jo's knee has gone down and she is limping less.  Unfortunately she can't get a doctor's appointment for three more weeks to find out what she damaged. At least she should be able to get surgery covered with the current insurance.  Starting to get nervous about not getting the call yet for the Texas gig - but, it is an executive position and highly likely that they are bringing in three candidates so we just don't know what is going on.

Birthday wishes. 

Good luck, Pan. Looking forward to hearing about your experience.

thanks! 

here was my birthday post on facebook.  i wrote that they could all read it as a present to me:  Capitalism and the Destruction of Life on Earth: Six Theses on Savi...

then i posted this:  

RSS

© 2024   Created by waldopaper.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service