Reality Based Community

Life in the Empire

We don't need another / a new discussion to prove it.

It is as it is.

Let this "fred" (discussion thread) live under the theme .......

long live this family

brothers, sisters, brethern, dogs, cats and birds, ants and flees, water and air and gas and Clare and Jim and him and the window Simm (??) and you and me and he and she and we and them and us and puss (???) and fish and the dish (it's on) and paper and pen.

Yip.

Views: 7016

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ps-btw... baby animals are really cool.
I couldn't agree more with both, the steaming corn flecked dump, and the cute baby animals. :o)

That church stuff is getting really heavy ... heavier than I could ever have imagined.  They think the environmental movement is satanism in disguise because god has it all under control.  The more I read the less I can believe what I'm reading.  Apparently killing a doctor who does abortions is now going to be manslaughter & not murder ?!?

Did a retail therapy thing at a book shop again last night while on a business trip in a big city.  Bought "Why women have sex" (not sure why I put that one into the pile) ... and AC Grayling's Thinkinf of Answers.  Waste of money I suppose ... pllenty of really good answers around ... just no one to hear them or care.

Yes I feel like the next 6 years are my last chance to maybe make some kind of difference even if it is just being able to say 'fuck you' to the system more easily and fluently than before because I have so much less to lose.  Have taken to praying to whoever/whatever and hoping angels really do guide us when they eventually get off their paradisical butts .... because I need ideas, courage, creativity and opportunitiy all in one giant synchronistic event I cannot possiblly imagine having right now.

I could show you a cloud woman full of holes whose possibilities linger and loom, stitching herself into form.

I hardly ever leave the street where I live, there is plenty of space above.

Cloud woman

I will print 'cloud woman' on my new printer & put it above my desk ... I always enjoy your subtle sweet colour blends Mouse.

i made this yesterday, wool batt

Pretty!  And so similar to Mouse's cloud woman.  Good way to celebrate turning 62 -:)

My mother just turned 89, my dad will turn 90 in July.  They are definitely old but they are in pretty good health.  If the next 6 years are all I have left to do anything meaningful, what am I going to do for the last third of my life?  30 years of waiting to die seems an awful long time.

Meanwhile, I work part-time and a completely fascist University in a Mormon state.  The full-time faculty just voted 4 to 1 a symbolic vote of no confidence in the university President.  This follows the vote of no confidence of the Provost last school year.  The President's toady sent an email claiming that it was a few agitators in the Faculty Senate who campaigned and "only" 55% of the faculty voted no confidence (70% of the faculty voted.  So the 55% is based upon the total faculty) The State Board of Education has responded by disbanding the Faculty Senate.  Idaho is a "right to work" state which means that there is no Union to stand up.

Nelson Mandela was man who never seemed to run out of lives to live.

Have just come back from a long road trip ... 12 hours driving ... listened to his 'Conversations with myself' ... his thoughts and letters from prison & unpublished diaries.  He was my age now when I was about 11 and mand had just landed on the moon and he still had more than 20 years of prison ahead of him.  Became president at 76.  What a man ... what an incredible man ... I never tire of listening to his story and writings to see how he took the bad hand (to understate it inestimably) life dealt him and turned it into the multiple lives he did turn it into.  I've been feeling a bit sorry for myself lately.  Sometimes listening to his letters and diaries inspired me out of that state in admiration ... sometimes I had to stop the CD because the words and events he lived through brought such sadness welling up. 

He had so many lives ... rural herds boy, law student, lawyer in Johannesburg, head of the military wing of the ANC .... faced an almost certain death sentence for his activities ... got a life sentence instead and missed out on the life we all take for granted - couldn't attend his eldest sons and mothers funerals or watch his children grow up.  And he came out of that with wisdom, compassion, humility I have never personally seen so close up and in his seventies started a whole new life leading this country into the rainbow nation.  What a f*king tragedy that all that really happened some 15 years later is the white arseholes got replaced by black ones. 

Between his life, A C Grayling's 'Thinking of Answers' and Mouse's cloud woman I hope I come up with something worth doing at least for this weekend.

Any of you having the same problem that I have at the moment ... accidentally buying the same book twice?  Or is it just my particular fetish?  Anyone want spare copies of Eugene Marais's Soul of the Ape, Ursula le Guin's Voices or Meg Daley Olmert's Made for Each Other? 

That is what I was making for you Cal, exactly.  So I shall send you a fatter file of it in the fullness of time theoretically.  Perhaps the actual thing will wing its way to you if the complexities of this struggle against the tide in the deep ocean 

leaning

allow

and I wonder, Hannah, what happened next.  Pictures of some embroidered wool and felt (will you felt that?) do 

needle through felt each stitch  falling 

deep down so many ripples.

Tying in tying through the dark the thread leads

the way opens out lanes in deep runnels time laid into the land with her fingers

working the thread of the footsteps wending their way

to warmth

to touch

to hold

Yes. Felt and fullness. Reminds me so.

Draws me on

with light lingering fingers

aswirl

a whirl

within

a wild waltz unfurling warmth

and making some of those slowly

over the years.

I ended up spinning it!  i didn't want to wet felt now, and it's too big to needle felt.

RSS

© 2024   Created by waldopaper.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service