Reality Based Community

Life in the Empire

We don't need another / a new discussion to prove it.

It is as it is.

Let this "fred" (discussion thread) live under the theme .......

long live this family

brothers, sisters, brethern, dogs, cats and birds, ants and flees, water and air and gas and Clare and Jim and him and the window Simm (??) and you and me and he and she and we and them and us and puss (???) and fish and the dish (it's on) and paper and pen.

Yip.

Views: 7017

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All that from the lowly mulberry! Berries like that could put health shops out of business.  I hope there are some trees in this town - it means the birds will deposit little seed loads in my garden.  When I was a kid I knew all the mulberry trees in the town by name - needed lots of food for my silk worm farms. 

my daughter had bought some for edison, her little boy, and so i looked up the nutritional properties and found they addressed macular degeneration!  http://www.mdsupport.org/library/lutzean.html plus all the other great things they have in them!

Have been reading our Christmas Story by Waldo again, for the third time, and find it still makes me smile.

Feliz Año Nuevo mi amigos

May all your new year's wishes come true.

Happy new year to you all. 

Wishes are chancy things!  I read one of those books which suggested writing down your list of goals - you know, the 10 most important things you'd like to do before you die.  I have had a good life & I found I am not much full of ambitions that make good list - wanted to meet the creator & ask the burning question "What the f*k were you thinking?", have a good death and to my absolute surprise ... get married again.

Gonna take all day to get back home from New Orleans. Seen the 'Bible Belt' and we ain't coming back. Pretty sure the Mayans weren't as deluded as these mid-west krackers (as Waldo calls 'em) are.

Then again, I'm pretty sure we've been on a downward slide since the Greeks. The multi-deity thing worked a lot better.

Oh well, back to the humdrum.

Not to be too much of a downer, but I think we have to guard against romanticizing any era.  Oh sure, Athens was a great place to be as the birthplace of democracy - if you were a wealthy, landed man and therefore a citizen - but for everyone else .......not so much.  And since I come from peasant ancestry, any Greek pre-incarnations of me would probably have been a woman or a slave....or from another city-state being overrun by Spartans.

And, judging by Diogenes' performance art piece running around town with a lantern looking for an honest man, integrity was lacking even amongst the landed citizens.

A grad school course claimed Diogenes as the first performance artist of renown.  He did several performance works, including one where - taking the philosophers' words at face value - he proclaimed masturbation to be healthy, good and nothing to hide so he masturbated in the public square - predating Vito Acconci by over two thousand years.

Oh those wacky performance artists!

Of course, as one could guess from my screen name, I agree with the wisdom of a pan-theistic theology.   Even most Christians, with their tripartite god, have figured out a dodge to the limitations of a monotheistic belief system.  Personally, I am attracted to a animistic approach seen with some (Greek) gnostics - god is creation/creation is god - therefore all is sacred.

Being facetious as usual. Although, I do want to go to Greece and Italia next. See the basis for our failed democracy/republic. Oops, there I go again.

Speaking of romanticizing the past...'tis the theme behind Woody Allen's latest movie--Midnight in Paris. Hollywood script writer and wannabe novelist goes back in time to '20's Paris and meets Hemingway, F scott Fitzgerald, Picasso, Dali and others. Essentially a treatise against the right-wing conformity that pretty much defines US zeitgeist. It's the protagonist's sense of romance that allows him to break away from his dismal future.

But you're right. Any period pre-aircondintioning woulda sucked. Found out I really don't like too much heat and humidity.

Ha! Good one.

Yesterday was my birthday - I turned 55.  I think that officially means that I am old now. Closer to 60 than 50.  My parents (who are both 90)  didn't remember - they didn't remember my birthday last year either - Mom's got Alzheimer's, Dad is just getting old and, until 2 years ago it was Mom who remembered the birthdays.

Starting to accept the very strong possibility that I will never again hold a full-time position.  Got one nibble this season - a phone interview from a very prestigious Conservatory.  That was good for my ego.  Confirmed that my application package is good and my qualifications very competitive. But then, it reinforces the perception that Search Committees are not looking for the most qualified - they are looking for candidates that won't make them look bad.  Theatre Dept is holding a search - Ms. Medusa was kept out of it, even though every other tenure line faculty member in Theatre and Dance Dept is on the committee (I do so love the cross-disciplinary collegiality that academia inspires!).  She was invited to an audition class by one candidate - some guy from LA who has done piece-work on TV, with absolutely no teaching background and no apparent experience directing - yep...academic depts have a way of maintaining a constant level of mediocrity.

Got another email rejection from a College position I would be perfect for....but....got an invite from a proposal I submitted to an organization in Finland to perform in Helsinki in a festival held in a converted shipping container.  Going to do a sound/movement piece in collaboration with a poet we met last year who - along with his Finnish and English language work - creates visual poetry and poems without words.  We got along great - he loves puns just like I do.

RSS

© 2024   Created by waldopaper.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service