Reality Based Community

Life in the Empire

Views: 206

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

correction for googlers

Hannagan Meadow

9,100 feet (2,774 m) elevation
Everything's coming along smoothly with the homecoming. Called Dad on the 22nd to congratulate him on his 71st birthday. He couldn't say but a couple of words, he was in so much pain. It has me wondering if he'll make it to the picnic 2 miles away, in June. I'm nearly certain this will be the last time we see one another. Sounds sad, but that's life. Accute pain is something none of us need.

The big wing dong family picnic will be mildly offset by a few attending highschool buddies. The one cousin out in California says he's gonna try to make it, but I doubt he will. We may just meet up at his brother's place up in the mountains. That is, if I make it. I rode out last saturday and sunday, about 120Kms each day. Spessart one day and Vogelsberg the next. All went well but come tuesday, my lower back started to cause for problems. I ended up crawling home on tuesday. Went to the Doc wednesday. He gave me a shot in the popo, prescribed some pain killers and gave me the rest of the week off. I've never had back pains like this before. The pain isn't going away. Looks like I got me a real problem now. So how on earth do I ride a bike with a back like this ?

Got a letter from my travel office today. Northwest cancelled my flight from Detroit to Phoenix. I now have a choice of waiting at the Detroit Airport for just a little over 4 hours until the next flight comes in or to fly on to Minneapolis and then to Phoenix.

Waldo, still not up to Detroit ?
First get the pain to stop. Gently find your way into the fetal position on a sofa or bed, using cushions or pillows to support you and fill in the gaps.

Gently relax the spine, adjusting, finding comfortable position. "Relax the tension that builds from pain and from spasms"

Order The Back Book (reprinted as Maggie's Back Book 1980) by Maggie Lettvin, very good book, order second-hand quickly and start putting the new precautionary stances into practice.

Off the computer, listen to something interesting on the radio, don't get stuck in one position and gently, carefully roll off couch to move.

Good luck.
I have had horrible back pain, and back problems my whole life, try this , it's kinda hard to explain, lay flat on your back on the floor, in front of a sofa or chair, scoot your but up flat to the sofa/chair, rest the bottom, back, of your legs on the sofa, your thighs will be against the front of the sofa and your ass will be on the floor up against the couch, it's kinda the reverse of sitting on the sofa. Believe me it helps loads.
Don't lay on the sofa, it's too damn soft, with a bad back, soft isn't good, hard is good. If possible put a board under your side of the mattress. The whole problem could be caused by sleeping on a mattress you're not used to. If you sleep on your side, place a pillow between your thighs, that'll help keep your spine aligned.
If the doctor gave you flexerill, call him back and ask about getting the prescription changed to paraphon forte, it's an older muscle relaxer, but seems to work much better and has a pain killing property.
I've had another thought too, did he check for blood in your urine, being an old biker chick, back seater mind, I know from friends who have ridden Harleys, that the bike vibrations, can irritate your kidneys and will cause lots of lower back pain, and blood in your urine. Hope this helps.
thanks, mouse, thanks, lom......

I'm taking Diclofenac-Natrium.

lom, my bike doesn't vibrate much at all. It's a Twin Cam with a balanced engine. Hardly any vibrating at all but I do have a suspicion that the seat may be the cause. It's a Badlander seat. Try to scoot back and it kinda crunches the lower region of the back : just where it hurts. I'm up and around a bit now but it does look like I have an issue.
owww!! it's definitely the Badlander bein bad to yo ass! I put a sundowner seat on the sportster and it made all the difference. I read that Mustang seats (the wide touring job) are even better. them skinny-ass stylish seats is for young dudes doin BB (bar to bar) riding... not for old farts who like to rack up the miles. Ye need that wide butt-bucket... even if ye aint got a wide butt.

Zeke used to complain about his butt going to sleep until I got the Sundowner. I don't know what the deal is these days with his fookin head.

welll... for you, Rossi... I might rethink Detroit.
lemme know soon, boss. I gotta call the agency soon to lettem know which way I'm goin.

badlander. Gotta get me a goodlander.
You ought to try the back seat for a while if'n ya want a cramped up ass. For some reason they all think the biker chick on the back has one of those nice, tight, mine never was, butts.
I rode around on the back of a V65 Magana , loved that damn bike! Some a-hole stole it.
The foot petals in the back are what really killed me, we had to replace them, they cramped my feet up so bad, I had to sit on the ground, after a trip from Quincy, Mass to The White Birches in New Hampshire. My back didn't hurt but my feet sure as hell did.
rode front and back for loads of miles....when I was younger. I wouldn't get on my bike on back, not with that seat! Hell no. Can't think of a better way to punish someone than to have them ride on that seat. It's just wide enough to supply a bit of padding for the crack of yer ass. Doesn't make much sense, doesn't look all too good. I thank I got me a new priority outa this.

The pain killer is almost working, but not quite. Stuff never works for me. Gonna lay on the floor a while. Roughin it.
Just try the thingy I told you about up thread, it helped a whole lot when I slipped a disk.
Soaking in a hot bath will help loosen up your muscles too.
Careful about soaking in the bath - unless it is a really big tub you are usually laying in it with a curved spine, especially in the neck - you might temporarily loosen up one area enough to give you a pain elsewhere. I much prefer a long shower with the spray directed to the area and gradually increasing the heat so I come out all pink.
just get a wide-bucket deep-padded mc seat. And stop dancing in the moonlight, ye auld farte.

RSS

© 2024   Created by waldopaper.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service