Reality Based Community

Life in the Empire

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/103-11032007-1434893.html

FBI reviewing Tasering of sleeping man; no charges file

The Associated Press

NORTH BRADDOCK, Pa. - Two North Braddock police officers won't face criminal charges for Tasering a man who was asleep at home. But the FBI will review the incident for possible civil rights violations.

Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen Zappala Jr. says county police determined Officers Gerard Kraly and Lukas Laeuricia (loo-REE'-see-uh) didn't commit a crime when they Tasered Shawn Hicks, who was sleeping on his couch.

Police came to Hicks home because they were alerted by a silent security alarm at his home about 2 a.m.

Hicks says the officers Tasered him again after he woke up and showed them ID to prove he lived at the home. Hicks' attorney says he will pursue civil action.

Views: 138

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

apparently discussion of this has been going on in New Zealand:
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO0608/S00039.htm

Perhaps not so in the US where fetish for the cops is second only to fetish for the "military." thin line of heroes defending "us" from the "other-thems" and all that. We could be seeing symptoms that may give us clues to the pathology of what's coming soon. Aint sayin Mad Max or endtimes or anything like that... but would bet the near future as much different than what many of us think as "normal times" today... including regarding armed mercenaries as "oppressors" more than "heroes" as "we" become the "other" due to the toilet "economy."

Desertions are increasing: Still not as high as the Vietnam "deserters," who are now being hunted with renewed vigor.The marching hippies didn't even slow it down. VN rotted from the inside, See if reading about Dave Cline hits you the same way:

"Then the war ended, and we all moved into other arenas, believing deeply in the possibility of revolution right here in the United States. For a while we stayed close, but through the years political disagreements developed, and in those heady times that meant a lot. By the end of the 70s and beginning of the 80s we weren't in contact any more. Those were very difficult times." (emphasis added)

It didn't happen. It should have happened. We blew it. Maybe this tasering bullshit is all part of our "second chance."

You don't often get those...
So, what's this? Being a couch potato is now a crime? We I'll be.

Nobody fucks with my couch time. If they want a war...
Well, bein in a Tropical Paradise and all, you probably didn't catch Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial. Most disturbing were the "death threats:"

NARRATOR: The Discovery Institute also was displeased. Soon after the decision, the institute published a 123-page book distancing itself from the case and criticizing the ruling as "judicial activism—with a vengeance."

The verdict turned out to be more controversial than Judge Jones had imagined.

Following the trial, he received death threats. Jones and his family had to be placed under round the clock protection.

JUDGE JOHN E. JONES III: I could never have imagined that I would receive threats to my person— in an establishment clause case. But that's what happened— in the— Dover case.

...and they were not limited to the Judge. Have never heard of the Christoids receiving "death threats" from "liberals." It seems to go almost exclusively the other way... have even received a few myself in years past. Maybe because "authoritarians" see no inconsistency in this whatsoever. They are fully capable of bawling martyrdom when things don't go their way... yet have no trouble brutally suppressing any kind of opposition whatsoever. We joke about "...it's not fascism when WE do it." It's no joke to them... it makes perfect sense. They will send forth the paid "social dominator" who will taser (or shoot) anything for pay. The difference is, the "social dominator" has no need for bullshit "justification." Getting paid is enough. According to Altemeyer, only the "followers" need to go through this strange tortured "logic."

Yes, the fundies DO want a war. Apparently the one(s) they have already started aint enough. The "dominators" taser a sleeping man... simply because they CAN.

edit: but it IS a conspiracy when "THEY" do it.
It was not a tazer

It was not a tazer he brought
but a bright yellow coat that he wore
out of place, breaking the rules of courtesy.

And what he had in his pocket
was yours.
Was yours.
Your 3 piles of gold,
your rumpled little diary my beautiful,
your keys, your passport.

They bled, they bled.

And those famous words that I can't remember
made a tunnel in the air
and out of it a well
a vortex of sighs
a spinning epiphany

for I had not known we were so despised.
He cast your things down
upon the table, and into the well
he threw your clothes and shoes in words
like bursting and hammering and kicking
to incinerate or return their scorned mess
to us,
who love you
however dead,

however dead
and gone.
Our champion,
our laughing deeds,
our shining one.
This is so disturbing.

This might be a bit of an antidote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/03/2007_06_wed.shtml
the heroic Eva Joly, former French judge and continuing fighter of corruption, her voice so calm and quiet. "The elite don't like this truth to be seen."

I'm reading http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~altemey/ Altemeyer's Authoritarians
today, as recommended by Waldo. What a nice fellow he is, Altemeyer, (Waldo too of course, that goes without saying).

And whilst we're at it let's all raise our glasses to congratulate Bo on his amazing self-control at the barbecue on the other thread.
Our Champion,
our laughing deeds,
our shining one.

...beautiful, EM. Could not follow your link, but I learned about Eva Joly on this one. Seems like the "threats" are only allowed to go one way. There is way too much chest-thumping in the world these days. As usual, the loudest chest-thumpers are the most terrified. More laughing deeds, sezeye...
More tase-o-mania for da files. I am definately getting one of those 'Don't tase me bro' t-shirts.

Video Shows Man Hit With Taser During Traffic Stop

Authorities are expediting an investigation of a state trooper who zapped a motorist with a Taser after video of the incident was posted on YouTube, the Utah Highway Patrol said Wednesday.
``It definitely put a little bit of conflict out there. We definitely have received a lot of feedback on it, calls and e-mail,'' said Trooper Cameron Roden, a spokesman for the highway patrol.

The video, taken from Trooper John Gardner's patrol car, shows him using his Taser after Jared Massey refused to sign a speeding ticket Sept. 14 and walked away from the officer on U.S. 40 in eastern Utah.

http://www.kutv.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=676049fd-3fcd-...
All right people, do try to keep up. Here' some more tasemania for the file...

Officer Uses Taser On Pregnant Woman
Police Say They Didn't Know Woman Was Pregnant

http://www.wpxi.com/news/14725286/detail.html
A 2005 Seattle incident combing two motifs into one: 8 month pregnant woman tasered for refusing to sign her traffic ticket.
Monkey see, monkey do. Deutsche Polizei now using tasers.

And in Switzerland

UN Committee Against Torture: Tasers Constituted A Form Of Torture

" A United Nations committee said Friday that use of Taser weapons can be a form of torture, in violation of the U.N. Convention Against Torture. Use of the electronic stun devices by police has been marked with a sudden rise in deaths - including four men in the United States and two in Canada within the last week.Canadian authorities are taking a second look at them, and in the United States, there is a wave of demands to BAN them. The U.N. Committee Against Torture referred Friday to the use of TaserX26 weapons which Portuguese police has acquired. An expert had testified to the committee that use of the weapons had “proven risks of harm or death.”

“The use of TaserX26 weapons, provoking extreme pain, constituted a form of torture, and that in certain cases it could also cause death, as shown by several reliable studies and by certain cases that had happened after practical use,” the committee said in a statement.

We’re almost 2 months into national trials of widespread Taser deployment in the UK, so there is still time to avoid them being permanently issued to all our police. Or look to America where 280 people have died after being Tased with this ‘non lethal’ technology. The technology itself has been in use enough to see comparisons with results from classic experiments on sadism and authoritarian dysfunction."

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Excessive and lethal force? Amnesty Intern...

I'm sure they're using them in France too.
I've got one for you. My sons x roommate, has a real problem with alcohol (that's why he isn't a room mate anymore)
Seems he had a few too many, drove his truck into someones yard where he got out, left it running, proceeded to wander into someones house, and promptly passed out on their couch. When they discovered him they called the police. They couldn't wake him so they tasered him twice. Why taser him at all is the question, he sure as hell wasn't fighting them, he was passed out. I guess this is the new method of waking someone.

RSS

© 2024   Created by waldopaper.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service