Reality Based Community

Life in the Empire

“Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.”
Steven Weinberg

Views: 625

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

knowing not what is exposed in slivers through time dissected by bots connected to drones woof woof says she but I can still see them would I were deluded, no not that. a spade, a fork, sunshine, a cruel wind and a lonely pea plant sunbatheing on the windowsill.
Attachments:
of course you cannot raise your head above the parapet without a meme knocking the cigarette out from between your teeth

I was raised a Methodist boy during the Cold War.  For decades, I avoided calling a myself a "christian" because of the awful responsibility.  Annie Dillard said church ladies should be wearing crash helmets. " Does anyone have the foggiest idea what sort of power we blithely invoke?"  Maybe.  Today, more people are avoiding even the lower-case label because it is... honestly... embarrassing.   You may not have a problem sharing the tent with those who bless the poor.  

Most of us are now having problems sharing the big tent with folk who think the Flintstones is a documentary.  Here is the Elephant in the room:  denial of what is plain to see while hijacking the Christian (TM) brand with flatulent fairy tales trumpeting while backing in the tent flapping.  One is a bar room.  The other goes, "barroom!"  It's the same with global communist conspiracy and the ISIS threat.  Them what smelt it usually dealt it.  

Been reading "No Place To Hide - Glen Greenwald - about the whole Edward Snowden thing two years ago ... kind of reassuring to know that Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, (everyone except Twitter?) bent over backwards to ensure NSA could protect the USofA'ers from terrorism by way of mass surveillance even of non-USA'ers.  Every little ding in the digital sand recorded in posterior (I mean posterity) .... or until the "barrroom".

I wondered if Snowden made a difference .... he did ... and he didn't .... same schmucks in power

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/has-us-learned-anything-e...

Russell Brand, Chris Hedges .... you think this revolution thing might actually happen?

http://www.alternet.org/we-are-revolutionary-moment-chris-hedges-ex...

.... or am I making the same mistake I made when I thought the Onion was for real ....

Don't know if this is staged or not - exorcism via cell phone

I went to the department of labour for unemployment benefits for a few months after losing my job.  I took a book along so as not to look like an ostentation 'umlungu' - whitey with smartphone technology.  Instead I looked like I fell of one of the ox wagons from Voortrekker days.  All eyes were trained on their cellphones.  We've had harvesting forestry fatalities because the sawchain operator stops in mid-cut to get his latest WhatsApp message. If ever there was a continent where cellphones were more essential than shoes, this is it. And you DO stop whatever you're doing when it bleats for attention.

now I'm only posting this to make you jealous.
Must go shopping, midnight looms:
http://www.abelandcole.co.uk/

A female accountant from Idaho State becomes the latest in a growing number of endangered species killer/genocidal psychopaths from America. Not surprising, she quotes the bible to justify her kills...

"Genesis 9:3 says, 'Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.'

Genesis 27:3 says, 'Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.'"

I guess if we were to take these quotes literally, it should be 'open-season' on humans as well.

'You might also like' pretty much says it all. Stay cool with this one wierd trick the government doesn't want you to know about. Disputes begin over arctic region. South of France? Fuck that. Got to get me a plot in the arctic tundra.

Jeez those are way bad fires!!  I spent a wonderful year in the Pacific North West mid 70's as an exchange student.  I thought it's only our exotic alien species plantations that are stressed out & bugged dead from drought & being rooted where there aren't supposed to be trees that went up in flames like that.  I spent 6 months once drawing up a 30 year harvesting  plan for supplying a sawmill from a source of plantations & kaboom ... all gone (even the sawmill) in 2 days after some kids got bored & anti-social on their way home from school on a windy day.

What stressing out those wonderful natural forests .... dare I ask .... human "activity"?

RSS

© 2024   Created by waldopaper.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service