Reality Based Community

Life in the Empire

A thread dedicated towards possible solutions rather than the rather pessimistic fare we engage in with much of our other communication.

Views: 1430

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Terribly sorry.
oh well, we latch on to hope.
thanks for the recipe on the other thread! how, that is truth!
Been looking for some sort of camping rig to take da kid on tour of a few western states, and I ran across this bit of info about a "SolWest Fair" held in eastern oregon during July. I'm just geeky enough to have fun at something like this.

BTW, I've been looking at old VW campers and Westies for a camping rig--maybe even a daily driver. I miss my old '77 bus. I found out about the SolWest fair via the Wet Westies--our local Westfalia enthusiasts group.

It can get frightfully hot in eastern Oregon during summer. I wonder if they can generate enough juice to power an air conditioner. Oh well. They probably all sneak back to their air-conditioned hotels at the end of the day. Save a little carbon spend a little, I say.
Check out TheSamba.com It is where we sold our Westie to a guy from Chicago. Too bad you weren't in the market last year - our '75 bus was sweet, absolutely no rust and the engine was in good shape too.

We decided to sell it when we realized that the old mechanics who worked on the air-cooled vans were mostly retired (had a great one in San Pedro in the L.A. basin named Wolfgang) and new parts aren't being made anymore. You have to be a hobbyist to own one - we just wanted it for camping.

We just bought a 2007 Honda Element with all-wheel drive as our replacement for the Westphalia. Can wheel both bikes into the back but they fit best if we take the front wheels off. Not a Westie but it's cargo space will haul a lot of gear and it can go a lot faster up hills than the Beastie did.
I think I might be hankerin' to relive one of the best times of my life. Those were the years I had my bus and spent every weekend down in the Columbia river gorge.

Thanks for the wake-up call. You're right about air-cooled mechanics disappearing. Use to be a few shops around my hood that specialized in bugs and busses, but they're gone now. That'd leave me to do all the wrenching. I'll have to think about that.

Did you know you can turn your element into a Westy? You can have the best of both worlds.
Has this movie been released over in the USA yet ... "Yes Men Fix the World" ?

Looks interesting. I'm assuming what they're doing is a form of monkey-wrenching. If so, I give the movie five stars.
Yes - it's a monkey-wrench sort of thing from the articles I've seen. Thanks for reminding me what the name of Abbey's book was.
http://www.lehmans.com/store/catalog?Args=

looks like a really good place to get stuff for when the lights go out. we had a 1 hr outage last night. dunno why.

btw pan... I'm probably going to cackle every time I see your new avatar... for at least a week or two.
Ever wonder how to get clothes clean without electricity? Check out this thing. I swear... my parents had one of these jobbies in the basement for the longest time... don't know why-- and will never know where it came from.

I've tried hand-washing... and without a wash-board, it just doesn't get it. Nothing comes QUITE clean... and after a while-- a kind of ground-in funk builds up that you can't hand-wash out... which aint no big deal if it dont stink... BUT- I've found that it makes garments less efficient for keeping out the cold. I guess the fibers don't trap air as well or something.

Hey pan... check out "Teach Naked!"

RSS

© 2024   Created by waldopaper.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service